Just like every single one of us as individuals, our country is a Work In Progress. For some people that progress feels entirely too fast. For others it feels painfully, cruelly slow. But we ARE a Work In Progress and we will get there. Rest assured, my beautiful Americans, we are not done. Not even close.
I sure as hell am not done so I just donated to Planned Parenthood, PFLAG (Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) and RAIIN (Rape, Abuse and Incest International Network). I have a voice and a wallet and I am going to use it.
Maybe donating money isn’t going to make you feel better about the outcome of our election but the act of looking for something that will is a statement on its own. It is a statement of hope. So go out, get looking and find some way to be an inclusive, unifying force in our world. Small acts, big acts - they all count. I believe that being a Work in Progress is better than being nothing at all. And the fact is that if we don’t find some way to get together then we are truly nothing at all.
Michael Moore predicted Donald Trump would win -- and he told us exactly how he was going to do it. Here is what he had to say today. Interesting read.
Morning After To-Do List:
1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.
2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and "come together." They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.
3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn't wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.
4. Everyone must stop saying they are "stunned" and "shocked". What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren't paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all "You're fired!" Trump's victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.
5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: "HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!" The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don't. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he's president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we'll continue to have presidents we didn't elect and didn't want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there's climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don't want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the "liberal" position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above).
Let's try to get this all done by noon today.
-- Michael Moore